For a healthier community and cleaner environment, UC Davis is 100% smoke and tobacco free.
Students Conduct Environmental Butt Scans
In February 2015, Health Education and Promotion student volunteers conducted environmental scans. During the first part of the scans, all cigarette butt litter that was found was picked up. Students returned 48 hours later and scanned the same area. Highlights included:
- 1268 cigarette butts were collected between Walker Hall and Shields Library. 48 hours later, 350 cigarette butts were collected in the same area.
- 252 butts were collected around Wellman Hall. 48 hours later, 60 butts were collected.
- 148 cigarette butts were picked up around Hunt Hall. 48 hours later, 23 butts were collected.
On April 11th, 2015 a campus-wide cigarette butt clean-up was held. 24 volunteers picked up over 4,300 cigarette butts in just 2 hours. The volunteers were split into groups and the campus was split up into quadrants.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Student Ambassadors
During Spring Quarter, Breathe Free, in partnership with Heath Education and Promotion, piloted a Smoke and Tobacco Free Student Ambassador Internship with 5 undergraduate students. Based on best practices from other Universities that have smoke and/or tobacco free policies, an ambassador’s primary function is to encourage an environment of compliance for the UC Davis Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy through ongoing peer-to-peer interaction.
Ambassadors show leadership, professionalism, compassion and the desire to promote and celebrate a healthier campus. If you would like to learn more about future Smoke and Tobacco Free Student Ambassador internship opportunities, please email: email@example.com
It's Our 1 Year Anniversary!
January 1, 2015 marked the one year anniversary of the UC Davis Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy. This anniversary gives us an opportunity to reflect on where we are with the policy and what remains to be done to continue to promote a culture of health and mutual responsibility on campus.
Davis City Council honors Chancellor Katehi for Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy
On October 7, 2014 the Davis City Council presented Chancellor Katehi with a proclamation in support of the smoke and tobacco free policy. View the proclamation and watch video footage of the meeting, which includes Dr. Andy Jones, University Writing Program lecturer and the City of Davis' Poet Laureate, reciting a poem he wrote about UC Davis, smoking, and Yul Brynner.
Read Dr. Andy's poem, "We need you, Yul Brynner."
Thinking about quitting?
- Figure out how much smoking has cost you: Arizona Smokers' Helpline cost calculator.
- Download smartphone apps that will quide you through the process of quitting smoking.
- Sign up for a free text messaging program that will send you texts with encouragement and tips for quitting (a British study shows text messages work!).
- Find specific resources for students, faculty, and staff on our Ready to Quit? page.
"Smoking Kid" Video
This compelling short video was created by Ogilvy & Mather Bangkok, Thailand, for the Thai Health Promotion Foundation.